Tuesday 1 June 2021

THAT DARN CUCKOO

 Every year we get at least one pair of Cuckoo arriving at the farm which in itself is a blessing but although quite easy to observe as they fly about their territory and then perch on a tree or a post giving their characteristic call, to get to photograph these short staying migrants is a difficult task. They arrive at our shores in April and by the end of June the adults have started to make their way back to their wintering grounds in tropical Africa with the juveniles a few weeks later following close behind. 

Lots of nice pictures of Cuckoo have been posted on line but I was still waiting for an opportunity to get a pic. I've been lucky enough to photograph them in the past at the farm but this year so far drawn a blank. a couple of days ago I was doing a bit of work in the garden when one flew onto the fence post above the garden and started to call I quickly grabbed the camera and managed to rattle off a couple of shots before it flew off. Although quite distant and heavily cropped I'd manage to bag my first Cuckoo of the year.

first cuckoo of 2021


This next picture shows the cuckoo with a meadow pipit in close attendance. the males distract the host birds off their nests so the females can move in to lay her solitary egg.

cuckoo with meadow pipit close by.

It was nice to finally get a pic of the cuckoo but I'm not giving up on hope that one will come in a bit closer for a more detailed image.

Here's some more images I've edited from around the farm of some of the birds that are hopefully breeding here this Spring.

stonechat

willow warbler

robin

great tit

redstart

jay

carrion crow

chaffinch

siskin

nuthatch

That's it for this one, thank you all for taking the time out to read my blog I hope it brings a bit of joy to at least a couple of you and as always I'll catch you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment