Sunday 30 May 2021

NEWPORT WETLANDS (USKMOUTH) AND GOLDCLIFF

Last weekend 22nd May I went down to Newport Wetlands RSPB Reserve (Uskmouth) and popped into Goldcliff to see what ornithological delights I could discover.


 There were a lot of families there enjoying the reserve but not that many birders. Still there were some nice birds on offer including the Whitethroats that were very tolerant of people and they seemed to just carry on with their normal behaviour regardless.

whitethroat


male and female



 I was hoping to perhaps see a Bittern or Marsh Harrier but I think with the volumes of people that were there it was going to be almost impossible that they would show.

The reed beds were teaming with Sedge and Reed Warblers.


Although both Warblers are difficult to photograph because mostly they stay deep into the reeds this one Sedge Warbler came pretty close to the edge of the reedbed and gave quite a performance as it rattled away for what seemed to be a good couple of minutes.

sedge warbler giving it large





After that I went down to the sea wall where there wasn't that much to see let alone photograph.


I then made my way down to the hide where I saw a Sparrowhawk fly into some bushes and come away with something in it's talons which I suspect was a small bird. No picture I'm afraid but it was a thrill to see it in action.

Down at the hide again there wasn't much on show but this Little Grebe was at the edge of the reedbed with it's family which were mostly hidden away by the reeds.

looking out over the reed beds from the hide

little grebe (dabchick)

Also this female and male tufted duck were on show.




I made my way back to the entrance where I managed to grab this pic of another Whitethroat after which I decided to leave the reserve and head home.



Before I went into Uskmouth I had a wander around Goldcliff where there was a nice selection of birds even though they were quite a distance away for us photographers. Having said that I did get a fairly close picture of this Dunnock.

dunnock

Here's what else I captured.

pair of lapwings

lesser black backed gull

house martin

swallows

reed bunting

male shellduck

grey heron

mute swans

swift

black tailed godwits and dunlin

avocets

A nice selection there I think! 

There were loads of goslings there from both Canada and Greylag Geese this one is a Greylag gosling.


And that's it for this post, it was quite a long day of birding but very enjoyable highlights for me was the Sedge Warbler display,

As always thanks for dropping by and hope to catch you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment