Monday 3 May 2021

A BIT OF BIRDING ON THE FARM

Well with my car in the garage in bits after failing it's MOT there was no Day Tripping for us on this Bank Holiday, so I decided to have a good old stroll around the farm and on the moors to see what was about. Outside the house my lonesome Swallow had been joined by this female so I should think they'll soon get down to business of building a nest and breeding.

a mate for our lonesome

Down the Old Farm there wasn't that much about, heard the Willow Warblers and the Cuckoo (which has been with us a couple of weeks now and I still haven't got an image)  but they were just to far away. I did see Stock Doves and Woodpigeon and all the usual suspects so I'm afraid that not many pic's were taken, although I did grab an image of this fly by Buzzard.

buzzard

Back on top near the moors the farmers field had a couple of surprises, Wheatear's were feeding and were joined by some more Buzzards. There were a pair this time and the one actually landed on the field.


male wheatear



a pair of buzzards


                                           

There was also this Dunnock which landed on a fence post quite close by.

dunnock

I made my way across the moors where the air is full of the songs and calls of good numbers of Skylark and Meadow Pipit that come back to nest here every spring. The Skylarks were a bit illusive  but I managed to get a couple of pic's.


skylark in display flight



Also managed a decent photo of this meadow pipit.

meadow pipit


Quite pleased with my efforts I walked back down into the farm where I snapped this Linnet.

male linnet

I then stumbled upon a pair of Stonechats that were alarming like hell around me so I took a quick couple of pictures before leaving them in peace as I suspected there was a nest close by.

female stonechat

and the male

The Redstarts have come into the farm in good numbers although non of them have started to nest yet as a check of the boxes by Steve Carter revealed non were occupied by Redstart only the Blue and Great tits and a pair of Nuthatches had taken up residence. Caught this male low down in a tree.


male redstart

Another Summer visitor that I've ticked off this year is this Tree Pipit


Tree pipit

Key ID features between this and the earlier Meadow Pipit are the very white belly with very fine lines on the flanks and the hind claw is a lot shorter than Meadow which is hidden on here, and obviously their calls and song are different.

At nearly the end of my walk I surprised this Jay who was skulking for food under the trees.

jay

I made it home in time for dinner happy in what I'd seen and photographed and I hope you are to.

Thanks for taking the time out to read my blog and as always I'll catch you soon. 


2 comments: