Saturday 15 June 2024

CWMTILLERY DIPPERS

 My old homestead of Cwmtillery have had nesting Dippers there since at least the seventies and perhaps even maybe before then. Cwmtillery Lake has been transformed over the years from the feeder pond for the old Cwmtillery coal mine into the little beauty spot it is today. The Dippers have come through all this and still manage to flourish here every year.

I visited the place back in May hoping to see if the Dippers had returned to their breeding site once more. After a short wait I was delighted to see this little brown bird with it's white breast and whirring wings heading for the nesting site.

dipper

As the bird landed near it's nest site I noticed that there were two young chicks already out of the nest and eagerly waiting to be fed by the parents.

young dipper

I watched for a while as the adults came in with food for the chicks it was great to see that they had once more been successful.

looking for food

adult dipper

I left them in peace to hopefully steer these two chicks into adulthood. It was great to spend time and watch this handsome aquatic song bird and I hope that they make Cwmtillery Lake their home for years to come. 




No comments:

Post a Comment