Monday 10 June 2024

A LOCAL MARSH TIT

 In mid May my good mate Stephen Carter had located breeding Marsh Tits in a wood down near a place called Usk. I personally have never seen one and they are becoming more scarce nowadays as is the very close cousin of the Marsh Tit the Willow Tit. Both birds are hole nesters with Marsh Tit using natural holes and nest boxes where the Willow Tit excavates it's own nest hole. The two birds are almost identical with the best way of telling them apart is by their calls and song. 

We were joined on the trip by another good friend, birder and excellent photographer Lee Parsons who was also very keen to see the birds.

Steve located the nest box and Lee and myself waited at a safe distance to see if the birds would show. Within a couple of minutes the birds started to come in with beakfulls of food which obviously told us that there were chicks in the nest. We managed to get a few shots of the birds and then left them in peace.

my first marsh tit

marsh tit

Below is myself and Lee Parsons photographing the Marsh tit at a safe distance.

here's me

and Lee

It was a great moment for me personally to finally see a Marsh Tit let alone photograph one, so I was well pleased it was a great mornings birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment