Monday 27 May 2024

A TRIP TO EAST ANGLIA

A weeks holiday to East Anglia last spring was a great week for myself and my lovely Wife to check out some excellent bird reserves and have a well earned break from the riggers of working life, and to boot was part of my 60th birthday celebrations.

We first went to Suffolk so I could finally visit Minsmere a place I've always wanted to see. A wonderful place where the highlights for me was the Bittern a bird I've only seen once before so was a real treat.

bittern


There were lots on offer there including a Sandmartin bank where they were nesting and coming in to feed their chicks, also the Common and Sandwich Terns were great to photograph.

sandmartin

common tern

common tern

sandwich tern

A fantastic reserve and well worth a visit.

We moved up to North Norfolk for the second half of the week staying at Snettisham village where we obviously visited the reserve, as well as Titchwell and a couple of others (which I can't remember the names of). Some great birds at these reserves with the Marsh Harriers being one of the stand out species. 

male marsh harrier

the female

Here's a selection of other birds seen at the reserves.

lapwing

white throat

reed warbler

skylark

distant barn owl

There was also a first for me a Woodlark although the photo is terrible it's the only record I've got so I'm keeping it.

woodlark

We managed to capture some of the local mammals which was a great bonus here's a selection.

muntjac deer


fallow deer

brown hare

A great time watching and photographing the local wildlife and would love to go again. What made it extra special is the it was part of my 60th birthday celebrations and the Sun shone all week, its was an excellent trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment