Monday 13 June 2022

SPRING TIME CHATS

Well Spring is all but over but it's been quite a decent season for myself with a good number of Spring/Summer migrants seen and photographed.

The chats are always a pleasure to see and back in April I photographed this female Wheatear which had just arrived back from it's wintering grounds in Africa.




female wheatear


The Stonechat although not a migrant but a resident species comes back on territory at the Farm every year and this year they have been very abundant with territories everywhere.


male

chick

female


These are gorgeous little birds and the males are stunning.


male stonechat

and another

Another migrant Chat that migrates here to breed from Africa is the Redstart, these birds are hole nesters and readily take up the old holes in the trees near my home or nest in a few of my nest boxes which I've put up around the Farm.

male

female



They are a beautiful bird and I am very lucky to have them nesting on my doorstep. 

I've had the opportunity to take several images of both male and female, I think they've had a good year this year as they also seem to be everywhere.


trying out one of the nestboxes

Last two images of the male and the female, I have to say they are stunning.





As a footnote another stunning little Chat the Whinchat used to be a regular at the Farm but sadly no longer, I did see one in early April (no photo I'm afraid) but although I've looked for them throughout the Spring I think that bird must have been passing through. Never mind maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment