Wednesday 15 June 2022

A PLEASANT SURPRISE

 We've had Tawny owls nesting up here for the last few years and it's always a pleasure to see them. They nest in an owl box which I've put up at the edge of the small wood near our home. Obviously because they're nocturnal you only get a fleeting glance or perhaps see the female fly off when we check the box. We hear them regularly calling at night and is great to listen to.

Last year I decided to put up two boxes one to replace the original box in which the bottom had rotted away and was uninhabitable, and a second to perhaps attract a Kestrel or Stockdove which will nest in these sort of boxes. We checked the original box back in March which had three Tawny eggs in so I was well pleased that they had took to the new box. There was nothing in the other box but there was plenty of time as we were still in the month of March. A week or so later outside the second box was the Male Tawny he had decided to use the second box to roost in and was just sat there on a branch in full view. I quickly got my camera and took some photo's of this cheeky male who stayed in full view for the next week or so until the leaves on the trees got thicker and hid the box and him from view.


male tawny owl in full view





on the entrance to the box

For me this was a great opportunity to have cracking views and to be able to photograph a Tawny owl in broad daylight.





I don't know if I'll get this chance again but what an experience. I haven't checked the main box in which the female was sitting on them three eggs, but with him on guard I should hope that she successfully reared a healthy brood.


I've left them in peace over the last couple of months so I should think the chicks are out of the box by now and are in the trees near by still being fed by their parents. By October they should be independent and the adults will start to drive them out of their territory so they will have to find territories of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment