Wednesday 29 September 2021

GETTING DOWN TO IT

 Yet another trip for yours truly back to the lagoons at Goldcliff,  this was a few weeks back but due to working commitments (12 hr shifts) I've been unable or perhaps even to knackered to sit at my computer and edit images and type out a blog about my last visit, it did produce a good selection of birds, it's such a great place as it never disappoints. So having finally had a couple of days rest it's time to get my arse into gear a get it done.


The first bird that caught my attention was this very light phased Buzzard which most birders at Goldcliff  has named the Bosprey showed well resting on the haystacks opposite the first hide. I also caught another Buzzard with also very light feathering flying over the reserve being harassed by corvids.

bosprey

another light phased but different Buzzard


On the lagoons themselves were some Cormorants although not rare by any means it's a bird that I hadn't seen at the lagoons before.

cormorant in flight



On the wader front were some Ruff, Lapwings, B
lacktailed Godwits and Little Stint, the Stints were way to far out for even a record shot but it was great to get another first for my British bird list which I have to say since going to Goldcliff has started to rise considerably.

ruff

lapwings

some black headed gulls

Quite a few duck species on show but all in eclipse plumage, they must use the lagoons as a safe haven whilst moulting, the Pintails were a nice surprise.

pintail


shoveler

wigeon


Also this Little Grebe showed well, this was a few weeks ago and it's already in winter plumage.

little grebe

dabchick

Last of anything of note on the lagoons were some Mute Swans they are a very majestic bird.

mute swan

Off the lagoons and in the surrounding area around Goldcliff there are some small trees and bushes with a bit of grassland where I spotted some Yellow Wagtails, apologies  for the pics but at least you can see what they are.

yellow wagtail



At the sea wall I managed to photograph what I'm pretty sure is a White Wagtail they like the Yellow's will be migrating anytime soon. Looking at the pic and my substantial collection of ID guides I'm sure it's a White but if anyone can prove me wrong I'll take it on the chin.

white or pied?

Also at the sea wall were a very confiding Wheatear and Meadow Pipit.

wheatear 





meadow pipit

 That's it for this one, can't wait to get down to Goldcliff again (work permitting) it always brings up some great birds and a few surprises. Thanks for your visit and until the next one cheers and I'll catch you soon.            

No comments:

Post a Comment