Monday 26 October 2020

A FIRST WINTER VISITOR

October is the main month when the Autumn migration really kicks in. Most of our Summer migrants have gone back to warmer climbs and our winter visitors start to arrive. It's also the month of my birthday when I get lots of presents but we've already covered that 😉.

Brambling is one winter migrant species that we do get most years, they have already been spotted at different locations around Gwent which made me hopeful that one would visit us at the farm. And to my shear delight a female joined a number of Chaffinches foraging for seeds underneath my feeders. Obviously I grabbed the camera before it disappeared and left me with no proof that the little beauty had popped in. I managed to rattle off a couple of shots so here she is:-


female brambling



I was hoping it would pop up on a post or some other higher vantage point so I could get a better image but it stayed low in amongst the dead leaves and grass.

It mixes quite freely with chaffinches and does look somewhat similar so here's a look at the male and female chaffinch for comparison.

female chaffinch

and the male

It's great to welcome back our first winter visitors of the year lets hope for many more over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment