Sunday 14 April 2019

BLACK NOT RED

black redstart

female common redstart
This time of year us birders eagerly await the arrival of our Spring migrants.
So when I got home from work on Monday last week I thought that I had spotted my first Redstart of the spring, bright red tail drab in appearance yes I thought a female. I grabbed my camera and took a few snaps then put my pic's on a Facebook site called Gwent Birders, it's a local site for people that are interested in Birds and wildlife where they can post pictures and share information. Within 10 minutes of posting the picture I was inundated with comments saying that it was in fact a Black Redstart a first summer male and a passage migrant. I quickly grabbed my Helm ID guide which confirmed that my fellow birders were right. It stayed for a couple more days before moving on but what a pleasant surprise the first I've seen up here and goes to show don't presume that what your looking at is what you think it is. I think I need to brush up on my ID skills.

Some more pic's of this surprising little passage migrant







My regular spring visitors the common Redstarts should be turning up anytime soon lets hope that they are as obliging as this little chap was.

No comments:

Post a Comment